Helping Avoiders and Pleasers to Grow Toward the Secure Connector
Recorded on September 7, 2023
These two underdeveloped love styles have been deprived of a secure environment in their families of origin. For the Avoider, it’s about what they didn’t receive from their parents and for the Pleaser it’s about being frightened or criticized by the parents or siblings rendering them risk averse in speech and actions. Both will struggle in relationships, and we hope to provide the attendees with information to encourage growth in the people with whom they work.
There are different challenges to working with each love style. In this webinar we will focus on the Avoider and Pleaser.
- How Avoiders present in therapy or groups.
- Blind spots of the Avoider that need to be brought into focus.
- Helping the Avoider see the need for emotions.
- Common protests of the Avoider.
- How the Avoider’s spouse can help them grow.
- Handout on distinguishing Avoidant attachment from Aspergers or Autistic characteristics.
- Distinguishing OCPD from Avoidant attachment. (Handout)
- What causes Avoiders to experience shame?
- How Pleasers present in therapy or groups.
- Blind spots of the Pleaser that need to be brought into focus.
- Common protests of the Pleaser.
- How the Pleaser’s spouse can help them grow.
- What causes Pleasers to experience shame?
- Helping Pleasers learn boundaries.
- Codependency, the Pleaser and Dependent Personality Disorder